Welcome to DNC.ca

DNC.ca is a free community for domain name owners, buyers and website developers. Once registered, you can list your domains for sale, post topics to other Canadian domainers and learn more about the domain industry. Take a moment and join Canada's best domain name forum. - Join Today!

Administrator CIRA Member

Domain Name Lingo

What is a domain?

A domain is used in URLs' to identify particular Web sites. Every web site
    is located by its unique IP address.

End User - A term used for the person who normally develops the domain into a business.

Reseller - A person who is in the business of buying/selling domain names.

BIN - Buy it Now.

OBO - Or best offer.

n/nn/nnn - N represents a Number

Example - NN.ca = 15.ca , 22.ca etc

l/ll/lll - L represents a Letter

Example - LLL.ca = ann.ca, ben.ca etc

A combination of these two - NL.ca = 3G.ca

Keep checking back this list may be updated. Feel free to add your own DN lingo

Moderator CIRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by theinvestor View Post
    Feel free to add your own DN lingo
    DN - Domain Name
    ********* - Domain Name Forum
    100% Canadian

EMD = exact match domain
    ccTLD = country code top level domain (what .ca is)
    Professional and low-priced web hosting from a Halifax-based company.

Here's a few more :

DNS stands for Domain Name Server (also referred to as Domain Name Service or Domain Name System). A DNS translates domain names into IP addresses. If someone wants to access *********'s web site (www.*********.ca), the DNS translates the domain name into its corresponding IP address 203.121.104.78 (for example), allowing the computer to locate *********'s web server.

URL stands for Universal Resource Locator and is a unique identifier for your web address. Your URL contains your domain name. An example of a URL is http://www.*********.ca. No two web sites can have the same URL. Whoever registers a domain name first gets to use it in their URL. This is why it is important to register your domain name before someone else does.

IP address - Every computer on the Internet has a numeric address called an IP Address, which is used to identify the location of the computer (Internet Protocol). An example of an IP address is 203.121.104.78. Each domain name replaces this string of numbers with a simple word or expression. Having a domain name means you don't have to remember a cumbersome numeric address.
    Follow us on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    DN - Domain Name
    ********* - Domain Name Forum
    If I try to type D N F it blocks it out. Why would you ban the name of your own forum from the board. It seems a bit odd to me.

MapleOne, we are changing the name of the website.

You joined the website at an interesting time but don't worry everything will be back under control shortly.

HeHeHe, I have already pieced it together, I catch on pretty quick.

Personally I would fight it, you're a Canadian site and completely different from them. Your logo is different and you are targeting Canadians and .ca's only. It would be a cold day in hell before I would give up the domain, I would suggest adding a second domain as a back up but I would keep the current domain running.

Could you do me a favour and PM me the new domain name? I have a knack for picking domain names, maybe I can be of help in picking a backup. Unless of course the decision is already made then the point is mute.

I just have a great suggestion for a name but don't want to post it, PM me if you want to chat.

BR- buyers remorse. Bought something you wish you hadn't

LBO - Low Ball Offer
    Domaining Blog - Learn how to buy and sell reg fee domain names.