Welcome to DNC.ca

DNC.ca is a free community for domain name owners, buyers and website developers. Once registered, you can list your domains for sale, post topics to other Canadian domainers and learn more about the domain industry. Take a moment and join Canada's best domain name forum. - Join Today!

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

You know...that really hot place at the core of the planet
    that is frustrating

I was just PMing with them regarding moving my hosting over and why they didn't return my voicemail.
    I was told they are in the middle of an office move so that was why they hadn't gotten to it like they normally would.
    Maybe that is an issue...you shouldn't be left hanging though.
    Real character is doing the right thing when no one is watching
    Immortality is achieved by living a life worth remembering
    Please be sure brain is engaged before putting keyboard into gear

Also...just contacted GreenGeeks chat and asked if funds were CDN or US and was informed it is US.
    They are a US company but have servers located in Canada... not a knock against any services/support they might provide, just a heads up

Hi

I have tried

GreenGeeks
    bluehost
    hostgator
    ehost

webserve

Finding a host depends on what type of site your wanting to host, the amount of visitors and content on your site. Some sites use a lot more resources that others.

One of the biggest things I look for besides price is the support, do they have live support and to what level is the live support, is the support 24/7.

this is my experience;

Greengeeks have a limited 24hr support, most things get upgraded to a higher level which can take a cpl days, (not good if your site is down) I have had issues from day one (2yrs now) and still have not resolved all the problems and most issues take a 4-5 days to resolve because of the back and forth with support. Memory is always an issue. there always seems to be an issue affecting performance ( i bout the 3yr deal so i am locked in for another year)

BlueHost - Never had a problem with support/performance or up time. But the price is higher.

just like all the other hosting sites as soon as your initial discounted contract is up they roll you into an higher plan / and will not negotiate a better rate. I have even left the hosting company and they don't care they would rather see you go than negotiate on the rate. ( but wait 3 months after you left and they will be sending you non stop emails "we want you back" and then they will offer you a discounted rate again. - i usually tell them to piss off just out of spite-

Hostgator - I didn't have any issues, the support was good and my sites ran well with no hosting issues- the price grab at the end of my contract turned me off hostgator

ehost I just started with them and all seems good so far, easy to use and no cpanel issues.

webserve - worst service ever! would not refund my money because i was over the refund date (by the time they responded to my emails) very limited support not 24/7 and super limited on what they can do.

I think everyone will experience something different depending on how many sites your running, the content of the sites, and the plan you buy into. don't buy the cheapest one unless your running a few landing pages, a cpl blogs, or one site. Pay $9-$12 per month on any of the main hosting companies you'll do fine.

just my opinion, I run about 40+ sites on 4 hosting companies the one i never have to worry about ( so far is bluehost )

Quote Originally Posted by MapleOne View Post
    I cannot change the whois on 80 domains without getting an error. I open a ticket and its been days and they cannot find a solution. They say they will update the whois for me and I receive twice as many confirmations as domains. I check and all domains are defaulted to canspace with no owner information. I try to change them again even one at a time and no confirmation email.
    I do apologize for the issue you were having with our bulk update feature - this was an issue unique to your account that we have not seen before (may have to do with the way your contact ID's overlapped). This was elevated to one of our client area developers to get to the root of the issue, hence the delay.

We did indeed manually update all of your contact information and all of your domains are set correctly as per your request - none of your domains are using our information (I just double-checked this myself). If you are continuing to have issues please let us know via the ticket!
    CanSpace Solutions (www.canspace.ca) - Canada's leading web hosting provider
    Lowest .ca domain name prices in Canada ($9.75/year!) | CIRA Certified

Quote Originally Posted by jaydub View Post
    I was just PMing with them regarding moving my hosting over and why they didn't return my voicemail.
    I was told they are in the middle of an office move so that was why they hadn't gotten to it like they normally would.
    Hi Jaydub - as discussed, because this voicemail was left at the end of the business day Friday, and we're undergoing an office move this weekend, we were not able to call you back as fast as we would have liked to. I'll have someone give you a call today and we can hopefully earn your business!
    CanSpace Solutions (www.canspace.ca) - Canada's leading web hosting provider
    Lowest .ca domain name prices in Canada ($9.75/year!) | CIRA Certified

So Neil at Canspace contacted me and is working to try and fix this for me. There is no privacy setting at canspace and he manually updated my whois at cira with privacy on which showed only canspace as the registrar.

I must say I upgraded to business hosting and together with cpanel I am quite pleased. My previous host deactivated parts of cPanel that were crucial to me. Canspace leaves all cPanel features turned on.

We have some work to do on the whois and then all is set. Right now he set it up that if I update any domain it updates all of them with the same whois. Not 100% ideal because I run a number of different companies but it will do for now because the bulk of my domains use the same whois.

He must be a really hard worker because he responded to the ticket at about 2:00 am. I have to make sure not to be too hard on him because it looks like he is trying his best and has a full plate at the moment.

OK....so after 6 good years with Hostgator I decided to leave them and sign on with a Canadian company, CanSpace.
    I picked up a Gold Reseller package. Basically I get almost 3 times as much web space and 4 times as much bandwidth for the same (or a little less) $ as Hostgator.

Early yet, but Ben got the 3 accounts I needed moved right away, moved in an hour, and the other 17 are to be done by tomorrow.

This was a tough decision to make because I have been trouble free with HG for over 6 years.
    Will keep you posted but if all works out I am happy to be bringing my hosting to a Canadian company.

Jim

The rest of my sites were moved to my CanSpace hosting yesterday by Alex in support.

Very smooth transition so far...just wanted to follow up on my experience.

Did you move over some domains too?
    I'd like to see if other accounts have the same issue with bulk whois edits on .ca's

I'm still getting errors when I try to edit whois through canspace.

Is there a way I can bypass canspace and make an account at cira to make whois changes?

No....just websites