PDA

View Full Version : The move...

theinvestor
09-10-2011, 09:07 AM
I'm going to be making an announcement to all members in the next week about the move of the website.

Unfortunately I am going to be switching the URL of our forum. I didn't want this to happen, but now feel that it is best.

Although, I have had a lot of support... countless emails, phone calls, etc. All who have been very generous I don't want to continue this fight anymore as it is affecting others in the process.

I have a couple of ideas for our new home, feel free to post your suggestions/ideas here.

Sorry guys...

icehutrentals
09-10-2011, 04:37 PM
why don't you sell or give *********.ca the domain to someone* who will continue to forward to this forum. You can use any number of names for this forum.. I think I would prefer ghyad.ca or gfyad.ca or fuad.ca or sadad.ca

theinvestor
09-10-2011, 04:53 PM
Marc,

I responded to you by PM, but will also comment here as well. The issue is really not as simple as it may seem. I don't want this to linger on and have to think about it. The more I think about it... the more it bugs me. So i need to move on.

I want to make the transition as smooth as possible, and since we have been building this forum for 6 months + spending money on advertising etc , it almost seems we will be starting from scratch.

Regardless, the forum will stay.. everyone will maintain their accounts. I will notify everyone and just hope it works. That's the best I can do.

I have two available options for the forum, I won't make that public yet but I have went and PMed you that information.

The effort will be in making these adjustments rather quickly and hope we can pick up where we left off.

wzhxvy
09-10-2011, 04:53 PM
I would use domain name or acronym and then a broad term or unique term that allows you to integrate businesses/ideas beyond a forum.

icehutrentals
09-10-2011, 07:56 PM
I would say do your plan on Monday. Do it quick and make the press release. You are a samurai warrior. Slice his throat quick and avoid all monetary losses.

icehutrentals
09-10-2011, 08:49 PM
I really like your favored alternative. be nimble, inform all members, and focus internally on the forum. Make a change or two on the forum. A forum homepage is like a restaurant menu, drop a couple items(dogs) and add a few new items(rising stars). Focus resources internally and you will make out like a bandit. Dickhead has a football pool, you need something even better.

icehutrentals
09-10-2011, 08:57 PM
Samer, How about an invite only domain conference/ice fishing derby sponsored by you and hosted by the IceFishingStore.ca? It would be better to spend your money building rather than defending.

theinvestor
09-10-2011, 09:16 PM
Might be too early to try a domain conference but could be an idea down the road.

Just want to get everything worked out here. Will take some time changing all the details on the site and building it back up into google. That's the real issue. The site was getting no traffic before we launched. Anyways no point complaining. Just gotta do it ;)

I think Canadians would be more interested in hockey more than football. Although I do like football.

wzhxvy
09-11-2011, 09:26 AM
I follow the Leafs more than I follow hockey :-) But I would be up for a hockey Pool...maybe next year though because there is a lot of work to be done in the next couple of months to maintain momentum.

theinvestor
09-11-2011, 10:26 AM
I'll be honest, I have never actually participated in a Hockey Pool. Usually it's just football.

Anyways, had a lot of PM's over the last couple days so I went ahead and PM'd those my available options.

I really have four available options right now, two of them I already own and the other two I am trying to acquire.

So far, I've had no success to even get a hold of registrant. So we will see. Maybe I'll even start a poll and have you guys just choose the name you like best and we can go from there.

Part of the reason, it's not as easy for me is because I would also like to be able to acquire the Twitter accounts as well. That's even tougher than getting your hand on the right domain sometimes.

Jen
09-11-2011, 12:40 PM
We will follow you wherever you go. You would have to redirect your traffic, re-advertise etc. I sent you my suggestions via PM. I think the poll idea is good once you exhaust all options...that way we can pick from the names you were able to aquire.

Once this matter is settled, just think of the endless opportunities for you, with no limitations in the domain name industry. I am excited...your fans should look forward to this change too.

Put it behind you Samer...sometimes change is better ;)

Frank Michlick
09-11-2011, 05:17 PM
Good luck with the name change - I don't really have any suggestions though.

Might be too early to try a domain conference but could be an idea down the road.

The first two DomainConvergence had 20-30 attendees and weren't too bad, but the third time I tried it didn't really work out :( I'll probably bring back the DomainerDinners soon though.

/Frank

theinvestor
09-11-2011, 11:35 PM
Good luck with the name change - I don't really have any suggestions though.

The first two DomainConvergence had 20-30 attendees and weren't too bad, but the third time I tried it didn't really work out :( I'll probably bring back the DomainerDinners soon though.

/Frank

That's the thing Frank, without a place to discuss .CA domains it will always be hard to be create these conferences. Gotta build it slowly...but I think we are on the right track. I am seeing positive growth in the .CA extension.

wzhxvy
09-12-2011, 09:53 AM
Also I am not sure a dinner is the right venue/function....no offence to all of you, but I am not sure dinner is how I would choose to spend my time with you guys lol. I think a live auction, or a few panel discussions over an evening would be a better format.

Frank Michlick
09-12-2011, 11:05 AM
Also I am not sure a dinner is the right venue/function....no offence to all of you, but I am not sure dinner is how I would choose to spend my time with you guys lol. I think a live auction, or a few panel discussions over an evening would be a better format.

LOL.. The networking dinners we had (9 of them, IIRC) had up to 25 attendees and everybody liked it. But I understand that this may not be the best format for everyone.

wzhxvy
09-12-2011, 12:11 PM
Maybe Frank the dinners would be the optional element to cap the evenings or its part of some award ceremony to recognize important contributions etc...and you are right the dinner option works for some...just a matter of preference

Paxtor
09-12-2011, 04:20 PM
Samer, How about an invite only domain conference/ice fishing derby sponsored by you and hosted by the IceFishingStore.ca? It would be better to spend your money building rather than defending.

at -40 on lake nipissing?

icehutrentals
09-13-2011, 09:35 AM
Inside heated huts! There are a gazillion hotels and restaurants along lakeshore drive. You can even rent huts with bunk beds, tv's, and cooking supplies to stay the whole weekend on the ice. Now that is crazy. I fish for a few hours and sleep in my own bed, lol. Ice Fishing is more about the company than trying to catch every fish in the lake. Often we do catch many fish, especially the first 3 weeks of the season. I bring my little barbeque on the ice and grill like its summer!

DropWizard.com
09-13-2011, 12:28 PM
Well homelessdomainers.ca is available .... :-) J/K

It sucks having to rebuild after all the effort you've put in. I don't know the reasons why you're doing it but I assume you've thought it out thoroughly.

As for domainer meetings.... margarita's, hot tubs and a bus load of cheerleaders is my preferred venue for meetings!!

No offense but ice fishing brrrrr. I spent too many years up north to willingly return to freezing my A** off.

Jen
09-13-2011, 12:57 PM
Why don't you guys just head over to the strip club?? I hear some of the best business decisions are made there....

theinvestor
09-13-2011, 01:00 PM
It is a shame DW, but that's life.

Frank Michlick
09-13-2011, 01:53 PM
Why don't you guys just head over to the strip club?? I hear some of the best business decisions are made there....

That would be following the domainer cliche, indeed.

Jen
09-13-2011, 01:59 PM
Cheaper than a bus load of cheerleaders! That's for sure.

MapleOne
09-26-2011, 02:39 PM
What was the name before or is the current name the issue?

So your domain name is in dispute?

My suggestion would be to just put together two generic words, try something like cdndomains.com or something like that.

theinvestor
09-26-2011, 03:09 PM
MapleOne, the current URL is the one that will be changed.

I will be doing that shortly and will email all the new URL. The website will be temporarily down as we transfer to our new home.