PDA

View Full Version : wartimecanada.ca

canuck
02-15-2012, 10:56 AM
New website window into two world wars

WARTIME CANADA: Two Western history professors have created the unique database

Anyone curious about what it was like to live in Canada during the First and Second World War will soon have thousands of documents at their fingertips.

Wartime Canada (http://wartimecanada.ca) is an online database that preserves historical Canadian documents from those wars and makes them accessible to the public. The website launched Tuesday.

"Since most of the material wasn't meant to be saved, this might be the only place you can find it," said Jonathan Vance, a historian at Western University.

The database was created by Vance and Graham Broad, a historian at King's University College. The website features 10 categories and each will have additional subcategories with access to material.

There are 400 documents online and an additional 3,000 to 4,000 to be uploaded in the coming months, with new material being added every day, Vance said.

Vance hopes the online database will engage the memories of people who remember the documents, who then can educate younger generations who have never seen them.

"For people who lived through the Second World War, they can see things from their younger days and tweak their memories," Vance said. "For everyone else, you'll find a variety of things from recipes, postcards, manuals and illustrations, to name a few."

Vance began collecting material in 2001 when he was a Canada Research Chair, a program funded by the Canadian government to help expand Canadian research and development.

"For all that time the only people who used (the material) were my students. It seemed unfortunate to have it hidden away," Vance said. "The website was the best way to get it out to people."

The majority of material came from eBay, flea markets, used book stores and students, Vance said.

Among Vance's favourites in the collections are more personal artifacts such as Christmas cards and food recipes.

"I find it interesting the ease (with which) people put wartime images in the cards," Vance said. "You wouldn't think to put a machine-gun in many Christmas cards, but you see it all the time."

Between 50 and 60 education lesson plans that teachers can use in classrooms will be added in the future, Vance said.

"They relate to the provincial curricula with direct links to documents on the website," Vance said. "It'll be a full package for teachers to take advantage of."

Vance expects that once people start seeing the website they'll loan material to be added and scanned into the database.

"I'm convinced that squirreled away in people's houses across the country is a treasure trove of material. It's just a matter of finding it."

http://www.lfpress.com/news/london/2012/02/14/19380791.html

theinvestor
02-16-2012, 08:41 AM
wartime.ca is for sale on DNC right now ;-)

ariss
02-16-2012, 02:21 PM
... and they didn't even ask me. I receive many CIRA message system offers of 50 or so for some great names that people would like to use for their personal blog, or project just because "you don't have a website up, and you aren't using that domain, so I'd like to use it for mine, but I can't offer very much."

It looks like they have a great project under way - the shorter domain name would have been much better though.

DropWizard.com
02-16-2012, 11:42 PM
I'd sell them war.ca....

InternetShop.ca
02-17-2012, 05:50 PM
For those who are selling, a word of advice: don't buy into that nonsense that people write enquiring about the purchase of a domain - it's a common buying tactic used by even sophisticated buyers. The "something for nothing" attitude is very prevalent among Canadian consumers.

... and they didn't even ask me. I receive many CIRA message system offers of 50 or so for some great names that people would like to use for their personal blog, or project just because "you don't have a website up, and you aren't using that domain, so I'd like to use it for mine, but I can't offer very much."

It looks like they have a great project under way - the shorter domain name would have been much better though.

DropWizard.com
02-17-2012, 07:00 PM
For those who are selling, a word of advice: don't buy into that nonsense that people write enquiring about the purchase of a domain - it's a common buying tactic used by even sophisticated buyers. The "something for nothing" attitude is very prevalent among Canadian consumers.

Far more prevalent among domainers... cheap ba**ards:o