PDA

View Full Version : SuperWifi.ca

Spex
08-20-2012, 02:29 PM
SuperWifi.ca

Hi everyone,

Any thoughts on what this one is worth? It's undevelopped at the moment.

domaindeals
08-23-2012, 12:07 PM
Congratulations, you have a trademark in there! :eek: $0

Super Wi-Fi is a term coined by the United States Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to describe a wireless networking proposal which the FCC plans to use for the creation of longer-distance wireless internet connections.[1] The use of the trademark "Wi-Fi" in the name has been criticized because it is not based on Wi-Fi technology or endorsed by the Wi-Fi Alliance.[2]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Wi-Fi

Spex
08-23-2012, 02:53 PM
With domains, there's always a risk, but an extensive search of the CIPO TM databae ( http://www.cipo.ic.gc.ca/app/opic-cipo/trdmrks/srch/bscSrch.do?lang=eng) shows no "super wifi" or "super wi-fi" TM's in Canada

There are, however, tons of of companies (some big, some small) using "wifi" in their TMs....so thank you very much for your appraisal, but please be considerate the next time you accuse someone of TM-squatting

Edit: I may only have 13 posts here at DNC, but don't worry...I've been around a while

puckerhuddle
08-23-2012, 03:21 PM
Trademarks are interesting things and are usually specific to a product/service etc.
Take "el camino.ca" For most of us that would take us back to the GM car truck hybrid but GM no longer has the trade mark for that product in Canada. The only trade mark on "el Camino is for a bicycle disc brake system. I am quite confident that I will not be stepping on their toes if I go to develop it. The big part of trade marks is consumer protection and I wouldn't dream of selling bicycle brake systems under that name.

Yev
08-23-2012, 04:07 PM
Spex - As long as you can justify that superwifi.ca will be not be used in a manner that will cause harm to the existing trademark, you might be fine. You can, for example, make superwifi a super hero focusing on digital comics. Crazy idea, but you never know...

Me: "Oh crap, my wifi is down!"

Superwifi: "Did someone say their wifi is down? This sounds like a job for SUPER WIFI!" *uses grappling hook with a router as the hook*

Domain
08-23-2012, 06:28 PM
wi-fi is NOT a generic name; the name wi-fi is a trademark in Canada

1- Mobile phones; USB modems; gateway in the nature of telecommunications and data networking hardware; modems; table multi-functional video terminals with accessing internet, making phone calls, viewing videos and playing games functions; ADSL broadband accessing terminal devices and equipment, namely, modems for ADSL broadband; routers; communication modules, namely, integrated circuit modules; PDAs (personal digital assistants); software in communication field, namely, computer software for managing, operating and maintaining video conferencing, computer software for data communication, computer software for use in database management and network management, computer software for use as a spreadsheet and word processing; equipment for network communication, namely, wired and wireless network interface devices, switching devices and gateways; netbooks.

2 - Computer hardware and peripherals for use in wireless local area networking.

3- Handheld device, namely, an electronic device used to locate a target wireless device; computer software and hardware configuration used to locate a target wireless device; Printed materials, namely, user guides, installation guides, and other printed materials, namely, training materials, teaching materials, promotional materials, informational sheets, and newsletters in the field of handheld devices for locating a target wireless device, and software relating thereto

I think the above pretty much covers what everybody thinks about when they think wi-fi... you are walking on thin ice with this name ... so for me it has no value... regards