PDA

View Full Version : Mum.ca - Happy Mothers day!

theinvestor
05-08-2011, 08:54 AM
What do you guys think mum.ca is worth and what can i do with it?

Jen
05-08-2011, 09:13 AM
Mum is a fun short word that is easily pronounced! I like!

Are you giving mums to your mum for mothers day?

icehutrentals
05-08-2011, 01:51 PM
"mum.ca" is worth $1,770,902 USD

Last Updated: May 08, 2011 at 11:48
(http://www.valuatemysite.com/www.mum.ca)

Just kidding, website worth sites are absolutely worthless to anyone other than themselves, save for entertainment.... haha

I truly like the name but I think there are some hurdles to do something with it. I think the best course of action is to sell it to one of the big online flower businesses for the most they are willing to pay for it. I'd ask for $10,000 and settle at $7,000. I would write a business letter to the head of marketing departments at the big online flower shops. Explain the worth that a short catchy name has and the possible ROI could be crazy high if they used it in a national marketing campaign. No-one can truly predict the final ROI, they'd have to take the risk, just like you took the risk in adopting mum.ca
I think the floor is $2,500 if it was simply auctioned off, the actual worth is $7,000, and the ask should be $10,000.

My 2 cents. I second Jen in that it is a fun word, and fun websites bring people back, period.

At 7k, the additional sales from mum.ca would have to be at least 28k to an end user to justify that price if they simply forwarded the name to their exisiting site and used the name in a national campaign. That assumes a 25% gross profit margin in the online flower biz and using already budgeted marketing dollars. I have no idea what it is, but they can adjust it for their margins. Basically at worst the profit from the new sales should at least pay for the name at the end of a campaign, and the true goal is a huge homerun that brings the minimum "new sales to cost ratio" at 4:1 up into the 50:1, 100:1, or more...
Ok, now I have an idea of their margins... I just looked at 1800flowers.com annual report (http://www.1800flowersinc.com/FLWS%202010%20Annual%20Report.pdf) and their gross profit margins are hovering around 40%... So even better than I suspected. They can afford $7,000 for the potential 50:1 sales to advertising boom in sales.

tip: write to:Stephen Bozzo
Senior Vice President,
Chief Information Officer
1800flowers.com

theinvestor
05-08-2011, 07:48 PM
Mum is a fun short word that is easily pronounced! I like!

Are you giving mums to your mum for mothers day?

I own mums.ca too ;)

theinvestor
05-08-2011, 07:50 PM
"mum.ca" is worth $1,770,902 USD

Last Updated: May 08, 2011 at 11:48
(http://www.valuatemysite.com/www.mum.ca)

Just kidding, website worth sites are absolutely worthless to anyone other than themselves, save for entertainment.... haha

I truly like the name but I think there are some hurdles to do something with it. I think the best course of action is to sell it to one of the big online flower businesses for the most they are willing to pay for it. I'd ask for $10,000 and settle at $7,000. I would write a business letter to the head of marketing departments at the big online flower shops. Explain the worth that a short catchy name has and the possible ROI could be crazy high if they used it in a national marketing campaign. No-one can truly predict the final ROI, they'd have to take the risk, just like you took the risk in adopting mum.ca
I think the floor is $2,500 if it was simply auctioned off, the actual worth is $7,000, and the ask should be $10,000.

My 2 cents. I second Jen in that it is a fun word, and fun websites bring people back, period.

At 7k, the additional sales from mum.ca would have to be at least 28k to an end user to justify that price if they simply forwarded the name to their exisiting site and used the name in a national campaign. That assumes a 25% gross profit margin in the online flower biz and using already budgeted marketing dollars. I have no idea what it is, but they can adjust it for their margins. Basically at worst the profit from the new sales should at least pay for the name at the end of a campaign, and the true goal is a huge homerun that brings the minimum "new sales to cost ratio" at 4:1 up into the 50:1, 100:1, or more...
Ok, now I have an idea of their margins... I just looked at 1800flowers.com annual report (http://www.1800flowersinc.com/FLWS%202010%20Annual%20Report.pdf) and their gross profit margins are hovering around 40%... So even better than I suspected. They can afford $7,000 for the potential 50:1 sales to advertising boom in sales.

tip: write to:Stephen Bozzo
Senior Vice President,
Chief Information Officer
1800flowers.com

I like the 1.7M figure. To be honest, i like the name quite a bit and will be developing but not exactly sure when or how. I know "mum" is not really a term used here in Canada. It is mostly used in UK and giftsformum.co.uk actually own mum.com and mum.co.uk. I believe they paid above 30K for mum.co.uk. I haven't seen a reported sale for the .com but i imagine it reached 6 figures.

icehutrentals
05-08-2011, 10:39 PM
Well I just registered giftsformum.ca if you want to partner on it to write them and see if they(gitsformum.co.uk) have an interest in having a Canadian Footprint. I was thinking about what you said about where the term is used. There are actually a lot of British people here and the little bit of research I did earlier said that it was 50-50 if Canadians use mum vs. mom. So its a lottery ticket; only cost $14.68
In fact the more I say it I'd rather say mum... LOL... I should probably give it to my mother as it's probably better than the Analytics Report and a Phone Call I gave her!!!

wzhxvy
05-08-2011, 10:43 PM
you gave your mom an Analytics report for Mother's day sportman ? :-)

icehutrentals
05-08-2011, 11:10 PM
She is away on vacation far away from here...

icehutrentals
05-08-2011, 11:24 PM
She is in Gulf Shores, Loiusianna for my brothers wedding that was yesterday for 2 weeks... She actually seemed happy I sent her it. She was impressed. You can email google analytics reports to whomever you want and even set daily,weekly,monthly reports in a variety of different formats.

theinvestor
05-08-2011, 11:26 PM
She is in Gulf Shores, Loiusianna for my brothers wedding that was yesterday for 2 weeks... She actually seemed happy I sent her it. She was impressed. You can email google analytics reports to whomever you want and even set daily,weekly,monthly reports in a variety of different formats.

Why didn't you go for wedding?

icehutrentals
05-08-2011, 11:27 PM
They'll never let me across the border.

theinvestor
05-08-2011, 11:28 PM
Well I just registered giftsformum.ca if you want to partner on it to write them and see if they(gitsformum.co.uk) have an interest in having a Canadian Footprint. I was thinking about what you said about where the term is used. There are actually a lot of British people here and the little bit of research I did earlier said that it was 50-50 if Canadians use mum vs. mom. So its a lottery ticket; only cost $14.68
In fact the more I say it I'd rather say mum... LOL... I should probably give it to my mother as it's probably better than the Analytics Report and a Phone Call I gave her!!!

Very hard to convince UK company to spread overseas... you will just have to wait and let them grow. It's a nice domain though, much more specific than mum.ca. ;)

icehutrentals
05-08-2011, 11:35 PM
Well I'm not very good at selling something that doesn't sell itself! I think there is huge potential here in CANADA if a representative from their company reads this from the UK!

Domain
05-08-2011, 11:35 PM
IMO, unless you own mom.ca the name mum.ca will be hard to market, especially over radio. I think you lose a lot of traffic to mom.ca and for that reason, I can't see someone digging really deep for the name.

theinvestor
05-08-2011, 11:41 PM
True Domain, but it is pronounced differently. I have heard much worse things over the radio, this is something that can get by.

icehutrentals
05-09-2011, 12:12 AM
Mom has a very stiff sound to it, where as Mum is more relaxed sounding... You could change the vocabulary for millions of people.

Domain
05-09-2011, 07:56 AM
on a 30 second or even a 15 sec radio plug the name will lose traffic to mom.ca. It is a given. You need to get mom.ca from zellers or approach them and sell mum.ca to them. These two names need to be together to have the greatest value. Golden rule of opening a website, protect your name and get all the similar names surrounding it. ie: wears.ca wares.ca wheres.ca , you need all three.